3-in-1: excursion - education - creative workshop
Panevėžys Has Time: Mission CENTURY
Route: Building of the Bank of Lithuania Juozas Balčikonis Gymnasium former building of the Aidas Society Local Lore Museum Art Gallery Panevėžys County Public Library of Gabrielė Petkevičaitė-Bitė.
1. Building of the Bank of Lithuania. Respublikos g. 56. The Building of the Bank of Lithuania was designed by Lithuanian architect Mykolas Songaila and built at the end of 1931. Its glamour and representative nature made it stand out in the provincial town during the period of the First Republic. The banks luxurious interior was created using natural and artificial marble and granite. The openwork structure of the dome is supported by sculptures of Atlas (sculptor Juozas Zikaras). The building is decorated by Vytis bas-relief created by the same author, which has a unique history.
2. Juozas Balčikonis Gymnasium. Respublikos g. 47. The current building of Juozas Balčikonis Gymnasium was built in 18831884. From 1884 it was a sciences school, but in 1915 was reorganised into the first Lithuanian gymnasium. The building, designed by architect Aleksandras Bykovskis, is an example of historicism in architecture. During his teaching days in Panevėžys, sculpture Juozas Zikaras created many works of art that became symbols of the Independent Lithuania: the Statue of Liberty, the Statue of the Book Smuggler, the first coins of Lithuanian Litas and cents, bas-relief For the Grave of the Unknown Soldier, bas-reliefs and busts depicting famous Lithuanian public figures. On 18 February 1918, the Act of Independence of Lithuania was signed by twenty signatories. Three of them studied or worked at this gymnasium: Alfonsas Petrulis, Kaziemieras Bizauskas and Kazimieras Šaulys. Two teachers Gabrielė Petkevičaitė-Bitė and Salomėja Stakauskaitė were members of the Constituent Assembly of Lithuania.
3. Aidas Society. Vasario 16-osios g. 20. Lithuanian drama, music and song society Aidas was founded in Panevėžys in 1906. During tsarist oppression, it used theatrical and musical activities to promote Lithuanian spirit and strengthen national self-awareness. The society was the first in town to organise Lithuanian performances and evenings. It had a choir. The Aidas Society was also active after the World War One, after the restoration of Lithuanias independence. It played an important role in Panevėžys social and cultural life. In 1919, Aidas rented a 13-room house from Malininas on Šeduvos (now Vasario 16-osios) Street and opened a hall with a stage and a bar.
4. Local Lore Museum. Vasario 16-osios g. 23. Educational and creativity workshop: the history and meaning of the oldest symbol of statehood; the creativity workshop includes creating the symbol of Vytis and portraits of historical personalities using cubes and decorating gingerbread with the sign of Vytis. Naftalis Fridmanas, member of the Constituent Assembly of the Republic of Lithuania, had his office in this house before the World War One.
5. Art Gallery. Respublikos g. 3. Educational and creative workshop: the history of the national flag, the meaning of its colours and their interpretation in Lithuanian contemporary ceramic works. During the creativity workshop, a tricolour abstraction is painted on a ceramic tile.
6. Public Library of Gabrielė Petkevičaitė-Bitė. Respublikos g. 14. Educational and creative workshop: the history of the Lithuanian anthem and a unique publication the sixth issue of the newspaper Varpas (1898), where Tautiška giesmė by Vincas Kudirka (national anthem of Lithuania) was published for the first time ever. The graphic art workshop includes creating prints of text from the national anthem on bookmarks using the ex-libris technique.
7. Pleasant surprise: free walking tour Būkime esmės žmonėmis. Julijonas Lindė-Dobilas (Let us be people of substance) every Friday from 1 June 2018 to 31 August 2018, from 16:00 (without educational and creativity workshops).
Price per person with educational programmes EUR 12, students EUR 6. Guided tour: EUR 30. Duration: 3 hours